Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Was Wrong: Revisited

A few weeks ago, I wrote about how I'd love to see music critics take a look back into history and admit that at times, they could be wrong.

Well, it looks like someone's listening! Check out this blog posting by Jim DeRogatis about this very topic.

The most revealing passage:
"As a critic, you receive an album advance a week or two before its release (at best; other times, you get it the day before). You listen as many times as possible, and then you present your emotional reaction in the intellectual form of a written review. (Some people would say there's very little intellect involved with some critics, but you know what I mean, I hope.)

After that, like any other fan, you live with that album for two weeks, two months, two years... and sometimes your opinion changes. Sometimes, you realize, 'This just isn't holding up.' "

Looks like the vault is open!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home